Accented characters

Post here if you cannot find a better category
quillan

Because we are in Europe many countries use accented characters but they do nt come out in your forms, I have given an example below.

Paseo Valldaura, N� 130 5 -3� in reality it shows a a blue box with a '?' in it.

also

Room Price �45 should be a Euro currency sign infront of the 45
Annette

Hello Quillan,

I checked your booking form in different browsers in Windows and Mac and could not recreate the problem. Your booking form looks fine in all. We use UTF-8 character encoding which enables all accented characters so there should be no problems. Can you please post a link and let me know what browser you are using?
quillan

It's not the browser (which is IE9) it's the email sent from the system to notify me of a reservation. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
markkinchin
Site Admin

I just tried making a booking using characters like Ö Ä and Ü for the guest name and the email notification contained these characters correctly.
I used gmail for my test. It could be that some email systems do not display the utf-8 special characters.
Which email program are you using?
quillan

Microsoft Outlook 2007 (SP3).

The emails arrive as 'Plain Text' (not html) which I think is the problem. It is a pain as we reply in the language we recieve the email in and have to change each email in to html, not only because we can't enter accented characters but we also used imbeded links to things like PayPal etc and don't want clients to see 'the mess' of the long url.
Annette

I checked in Outlook 2010 and it looks fine. It seems outlook 7 has problems with UTF-8 encoding. When you google it you will find alot of information on this.
quillan

Silly question but having checked a load of emails from companies like Amazon, Laterooms, PayPal and a few other big companies I get emails from all use "windows-1252" coding with only a few minor companies using the same format as you so why not change? I personally don't want to spend 90 Euros on a new version of Outlook just to use your system with accented characters. This could be an issue for others in Europe as well.