Manual credit card payments using Stripe

Topics related to bookings and guest managment
wbstephen

Hi there,

I can see it's possible to charge a CC through Stripe from within the booking if a deposit has already been collected

Because of our cancellation policy at the moment we don't take a deposit at time of booking.

Is it possible to still take a manual payment if no deposit was taken at time of booking? I.e. just CC details collected through the booking system?

Has any thought been given to delaying the charging of the deposit? E.g. our cancellation policy allows for a 50% charge within 14 days of booking. It would be great if we could automatically collect this deposit so that we are alerted to any CCs that are not valid or have insufficient funds. We have been burned in the past by guests not showing up but their CC declines so we lose the entire booking.

Regards
Stephen
annettemorgenroth

Once a payment is successfully collected further charges can be made to the customer's card via Stripe.

The menu for this is available on the "Invoice" tab of the booking.

The Stripe help page has a screenshot. You can either use the search function of the wiki https://wiki.beds24.com/index.php?title=Main_Page or go to SETTINGS->PROPERTIES->DEPOSIT COLLECTION -> STRIPE and click on HELP in the top right menu of this page.
wbstephen

Thanks Annette,

So this feature is only available if a credit card deposit IS taken at time of booking?

There is no way to trigger the first Stripe charge manually after booking has been taken?
Epicea_old

No, because STRIPE won't do that. There's no reason for them to allow you to use their infrastructure to validate cards and then not complete the transaction, they only make money on the commission.

We have the same problem. We offer a small discount on STRIPE bookings but still allow native beds24 bookings at the full price. That seems to work, most of the direct bookings over a couple of days use the STRIP option to get the discount. This works using the offers, the OFFER-2 we have is for a 20% deposit and the master rate defines a percentage offset from the OFFER-1 price.
wbstephen

Thanks Epicea,

Great idea.

But you misunderstood my question. I'm not asking for CC validation without payment. I'm just asking if it's possible to make a manual payment via Stripe if one was not taken at time of booking.

I.e. at time of booking we take CC but do not require payment. 14 days prior to reservation we could attempt to charge (via Stripe) our 50% cancellation fee, at which point if the CC declined we could make contact with the booking. Then remaining charge could be made via Strip at time of arrival (removing need for a separate CC terminal)

Regards
Stephen
annettemorgenroth

wbstephen wrote:Thanks Epicea,

Great idea.

But you misunderstood my question. I'm not asking for CC validation without payment. I'm just asking if it's possible to make a manual payment via Stripe if one was not taken at time of booking.

I.e. at time of booking we take CC but do not require payment. 14 days prior to reservation we could attempt to charge (via Stripe) our 50% cancellation fee, at which point if the CC declined we could make contact with the booking. Then remaining charge could be made via Strip at time of arrival (removing need for a separate CC terminal)

Regards
Stephen
At the moment you can
1. Collect a deposit via Stripe a the time of the booking
2. Once a payment is successfully collected further charges can be made to the customer's card via Stripe.

We are working on an option to collect a card via Stripe and process the payment at a different time.
wbstephen

Thanks Annette,

I have tested out Stripe and it is working well.

The ability to take manual payments at other times (e.g. for bookings taken over the phone and manually entered) will be a great feature.

Regards
Stephen