Please move checkbox for "add extra" on payment screen

Suggestions and ideas to make Beds24.com better
stonelion

On the payment page that appears after the booking page, the location of the checkbox for selecting an "add extra" is awful. The checkbox is floating out in the middle of nowhere about 4 inches to the right of the title for the extra. That location is very high odds someone won't notice the checkbox and could cost us some upsells.

Please revise it so that the checkbox is to the far left in column 1 with the extra's title just about a 1/4" to the right of the checkbox. That will be much more intuitive and pleasing to the eye. It will also allow for really long titles for extras where the long title won't crowd the checkbox. The current design
annettemorgenroth

We are planning to upgrade this page. In the meantime you might want to consider adding description and/or a picture to enhace your upsell items. Have a look here: https://wiki.beds24.com/index.php/Upsell_Items for information how to do this.
stonelion

I have not been using beds24 as our booking engine because of this issue. I've been paying for beds24 in the hopes that as a paying customer it might be an incentive to fix this and retain me as a customer. But I've been continuing to use reservationKey as our booking engine on our site.

I stopped in today to take another look at beds24. I' don't see any change on how the upsell items are displayed. The current display layout under "Add extras" on the payment screen is really awful.

The 3 columns with the checkbox floating in the middle (with no indicator that it needs to be checked to purchase the item) column is done via a bootrsap grid. I don't see a way that I can customize the layout to fix the problem myself.

Can you give me an estimate as to when you will be working on the upsell items please? I need to make a decision if I keep paying while I wait or to just cancel my account. Also, if you're going to work on it I'd like to be able to give some suggestions on it.

Thanks!
markkinchin
Site Admin

stonelion wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm
Also, if you're going to work on it I'd like to be able to give some suggestions on it.
I would be interested to hear your suggestions.
stonelion

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute suggestions/requests. The up-sell feature is, I believe, as core to a booking engine as the ability to book a room. In other words, I consider a well-done up-sell process to be one of the top factors when considering whom to use as a vendor for handling our bookings. The reason why is that a Bed and Breakfast can easily double their profit margin, when a customer books, by selling up-sell products and services. So financially, its pretty critical that the up-sell process be done well. I hope you will make this improvement a priority. Adding channels is great but you're already the best in terms of what you're offering there so I think taking a break and addressing something like this is more important. :D

One thing I have learned as a developer and having done business on the web since 1996 is most people don't read everything on a page. So the most important stuff, you have to put right in a person's face to get their attention. To that end, my suggestions is to give the up-sell items their own page in the booking process. You can see an example that thinkreservations did really well. I shortend the URL but go here: https://bit.ly/2HV7Nch and pick one of the rooms and then click on the "Add to reservation" button. So what is happening here is a person has selected a room to book. After clicking on the "add to reservation" button, a dedicated up-sell page is presented with the text, "Would you like to add any of the following?"

That up-sell page provides an opportunity to present a photo, title of the offering and a nice description block to describe the offering. The one thing not done well is the thumbnail photo should be clickable and open a larger photo in a modal/lightbox. That's important because if you're offering something like a bouquet of roses in a vase a person would like to be able to get a good look at it before they make the decision to add the item to their booking. Thumbnails are too small for any kind of detail and putting a larger photo on the up-sell page would waste the real estate. The lightbox is a better option.

The above is my recommendation. I know it's a more extensive change than fixing the current issues on how up-sell items are presented on the payment page. But its the right way to do it.

In terms of the current up-sell items on the payment page, putting the checkbox in the far left column with the title to the right of the checkbox would help a lot. The checkbox in the middle is not a good location.
stonelion

Would appreciate hearing from someone at beds24. Is this something you would consider making a priority and addressing soon?
markkinchin
Site Admin

Moving the tick boxes to the left of the page is under consideration, depending on the type of upsell it could be a selector instead of a tickbox so any change to the layout will need to allow space for the largest item that could appear.in that column
stonelion

Okay, that's concerning to me that the proper solution I suggested is not being considered. Thank you. I have enough info now to make a decision.
annettemorgenroth

As I previously said - We are planning to upgrade this page.
stonelion

It's been 2 months. Can you tell me please where this task currently stands? Is it currently being worked on or is it just on a list somewhere? Thank you!