Per layout HTML

Suggestions and ideas to make Beds24.com better
epicea

Hi

I was interested in firing some analytics events based on the booking layout. For example the google channel uses a different layout than our website, I was interested to see how often it was accessed in analytics.

There’s a few way I could hook into into, header code obviously would work but html anywhere that’s unique to layout.

Not very important but a nice thing to have.

Ian
annettemorgenroth

Hi Ian,

We add a class for the layout in the body tag. For example layout1 for layout 1 and layout5 for layout 5. Can you work with these?
epicea

annettemorgenroth wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 am
Hi Ian,

We add a class for the layout in the body tag. For example layout1 for layout 1 and layout5 for layout 5. Can you work with these?
That's true although it's a limited method, inserting actual tracking events via CSS is tricky and less than ideal. An alternative is to use different layout elements having different code in them. The advantage of that being that you can use different codes in each language which I was interested in to see if guests were switching language in the booking page.

The real problem is that for some reason using analytics.js that cross-domain tracking simply doesn't work.
markkinchin
Site Admin

Switching language would show up in the URL of the page, a parameter like &lang=fr will be present
epicea

the real problem is the cross site tracking in analytics, I think it worked better in the past. I'm pretty sure that tag manager is an over complex solution, really engineered towards advertising and re-targeting at the expense of the quick dashboard view that most small websites really want.

I think we may stop using analytics altogether, our own logging to a database is simpler and we use it daily while I actually don't often login to analytics.