Booking return URL

Suggestions and ideas to make Beds24.com better
quillan

Currently you can only have one. Would it be possible to have individual ones depending on the languages you have selected to be available on the booking form. At the moment we have a "Thank You" in three different languages on one page. We also want to ask a marketing question (how did you find our website) and how easy was it for them to make a reservation plus a text box for suggestions on improving our website. From time to time we may also use it to advertise a special offer of some sort. We can do this by creating an English language page, French language page and a Spanish language page. Once completed we can return them to the home page from withing the specific Booking return page URL.
markkinchin
Site Admin

This is a really good idea but rather than creating multiple URL's I have added it as a URL parameter passed back to your page.

The booking return URL already has the main information like guest name, booking number etc appended as URL parameters.
I have added the language code to these and it will be in the URL, for example German &lang=de

Using a scripting language on your page you can extract all this information and completely personalise your landing page or even redirect to another page based on language.

Also the new control panel at http://www.beds24.com/control2.php collects and stores the language of each booking made allowing you to always see which language the guest used.
markkinchin
Site Admin

I would just like to mention that we will also have Chinese, Japanese and Turkish languages available for the booking page. These can be activated from the new control panel.
quillan

markkinchin wrote:I would just like to mention that we will also have Chinese.......
Would that be Mandarine, Cantonese or any of the the other 13 languages used there. ;)
quillan

OK having had my fun about Chinese langauge I can't write scripts. Can you either make it simple with a box against the languages that you have selected to display your calander in which to enter the URL you want to go to or alternativly give us a sample script we can change the web address to our unique one and the web page address we want it to got to.
markkinchin
Site Admin

quillan wrote:give us a sample script we can change the web address to our unique one and the web page address we want it to got to.
Here is an easy way to do it using PHP.
Every decent web hosting service should support this.
Make a file on your web site with a .php extension and call it anything you like, for example landingpage.php
Paste the following code into the file.
Change the URL's in the code to your real pages for each language and set the two character language codes in the if statements as you need.
I have shown French and German redirects and a default redirect if the language does not match any of these.
Save the PHP file to your website and set the Return URL after a booking to go to that file.

Code: Select all

<?php

//this if statement tests for French and redirects to a French page
if($_GET["lang"] == "fr")  
  { 
  header("location: http://mywebsite.com/myfrenchpage.html");    
  die;
  } 

//this if statement tests for German and redirects to a German page
if($_GET["lang"] == "de")  
  { 
  header("location: http://mywebsite.com/mygermanpage.html");    
  die;
  } 

//if none of the above matched redirect to this page
header("location: http://mywebsite.com/mydefaultpage.html");    

?>
markkinchin
Site Admin

quillan wrote:
markkinchin wrote:I would just like to mention that we will also have Chinese.......
Would that be Mandarine, Cantonese or any of the the other 13 languages used there. ;)
No idea, but it was fun copying and pasting the characters into the files. It was all triple double dutch to me.

Seriously though I believe the text is simplified Chinese but as I don't read or write the language I am at the mercy of the person who did the translations for me.
Anyone who knows the language is welcome to try it and suggest improvements.
quillan

I have tried your suggestion after confirming my hosting site supports PHP and it does not work.

Once you send the reservation and the indicator stops turning I stay on the same reservations webpage on my website in which the iframe to beds24 resides but the text of the php file is displayed inside the iframe.

I don't want to be a pain but I suspect that I am not the only one with limited website creation experience and no experience of php. I would therefore ask that you do the 'work' at your end. I would see it as you getting individual language box's appearing for the redirect depending on the selection of languages you have chosen for your beds24 iframe to be displayed in and that you simply enter the URL in the beds24 website URL for the redirect.

Just to make it clear I have selected English, French and Spanish for the languages beds24 page will display within the iframe on my sites webpage therefore I would only expect to see three places (one for each language) in to which I enter my returning URL. If I just had English and French I would only expect to see two, etc, etc.
markkinchin
Site Admin

quillan wrote: the text of the php file is displayed inside the iframe.
This simply means the PHP script is not being executed.
Can you send me a link to your file and I will check it for errors.
Most hosts will execute the script in files with a .php extension.
It sounds like yours is not, perhaps PHP needs to be enabled.

The reason I don't want to have a separate URL setting for each language is because we already have 9 translations and no doubt this will grow in number.