first name / last name / title

Post here if you cannot find a better category
Epicea_old

As I recall it, the previous control panel had a single name field while the new one has first/last. The first consequence of this is that the emails don't work properly anymore, the template that used the name field now uses the surname which leads to mails saying "Dear SURNAME". Presumably I can update the template of course.

Our real problem is the we used the whole field to give title. That's quite important in Europe, it's rude to omit Madame/Mr etc. The booking form is still using a single field so it's a bit awkward to get the emails right now.
amberbb

Epicea wrote:As I recall it, the previous control panel had a single name field while the new one has first/last...The booking form is still using a single field so it's a bit awkward to get the emails right now.
I concur.

Was there a reason to switch, please?
Amber House Limited trading as AMBER HOUSE - at the centre!™
Mobile: +64 21 202 4961
Phone: +64 3 539 0605
Fax: +44 70 05 96 34 37
http://www.AmberHouse.co.nz
Amber House, 46 Weka Street, Nelson 7010, New Zealand
Epicea_old

Epicea wrote: Our real problem is the we used the whole field to give title. That's quite important in Europe, it's rude to omit Madame/Mr etc. The booking form is still using a single field so it's a bit awkward to get the emails right now.
I've just realised it's not only the booking form, it's also the CSV and XML. I was just porting our import to use XML and noticed. Alterations to API's are obviously fairly sensitive.
Epicea_old

I've now realised this creates more problems. We've a number of bookings made by companies or where people want to enter "homer and marge simpson" etc.

I think using first and last name fields opens up a world of grief for no particular benefit. Even if you add title it's problematic in some parts of the world as names don't quite work like that. Just having a name for a booking was simple but effective I think.
amberbb

Epicea wrote:I've now realised this creates more problems. We've a number of bookings made by companies or where people want to enter "homer and marge simpson" etc.

I think using first and last name fields opens up a world of grief for no particular benefit. Even if you add title it's problematic in some parts of the world as names don't quite work like that. Just having a name for a booking was simple but effective I think.
I agree.

Now only the first name is displaying in some new bookings in the calendar view of the control panel

Were there reasons to make this change, please?

18 Feb 2013BUMP!Did you have a re-think on this one, Mark?
Amber House Limited trading as AMBER HOUSE - at the centre!™
Mobile: +64 21 202 4961
Phone: +64 3 539 0605
Fax: +44 70 05 96 34 37
http://www.AmberHouse.co.nz
Amber House, 46 Weka Street, Nelson 7010, New Zealand
Annette

We changed this because we are planning to add a guest management system to Beds24. Part of this will be a guest database which will need first name and last name. The new booking page we are working on will have optional separate fields for first name and last name.

We have updated the template variables.

[GUESTNAME] - lastname
[GUESTFIRSTNAME] firstname
[GUESTFULLNAME] firstname lastname
[GUESTTITLE] firstname lastname

You can find the complete list the wiki: http://wiki.beds24.com/index.php?title= ... _Variables

I apologise if this causes some issues during the transition phase but in the long term we believe it will be an improvement.